UK charity, Oxfam loses govt funding over sexual exploitation allegation in DRC
London, April 8, 2021 (AltAfrica)-The UK has suspended aid funding for Oxfam again after fresh allegations of sexual exploitation and bullying were made against staff.
Two Oxfam workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) were suspended last week following the latest claims.
READ ALSO: SENIOR US OFFICIAL COMMITS SUICIDE IN KENYA
The charity had only been allowed to start reapplying for aid funds in March.
It had served a three-year ban after a cover-up of sexual exploitation by staff in Haiti came to light in 2018.
The Foreign and Development Office said Oxfam would not be able to make any applications for UK aid money until the new allegations were resolved.
“All organisations bidding for UK aid must meet the high standards of safeguarding required to keep the people they work with safe,” a spokesman said.
The recent reports “call into question” Oxfam’s ability to meet those standards, he added.
Oxfam said its suspensions of the two members of staff showed “our commitment to tackle abuses of power”.
A spokesman for the charity said it was keeping the Foreign Office and the Charity Commission informed about its investigation in the DRC and it was seeking further information about the ban.
Last week the charity revealed it had suspended the two workers in the DRC as part of an investigation set up in November. But the Times – which revealed the original scandal in 2018 – said whistleblowers were “frustrated” at the speed of the inquiry.