Sudan’s fifth vice president tests positive as Congo presidential candidate dies of COVID-19
London, March 22, 2021 (AltAfrica)-South Sudan’s Fifth Vice President Rebecca Nyandeng De Mabior has tested positive for COVID-19. De Mabior informed the public about her status in a Facebook post. She says she is self-isolating and doctors are monitoring her situation.
Her situation came same day Republic of Congo’s top presidential opposition candidate Guy Brice Parfait Kolelas, who was hospitalized with COVID-19 complications on election day died of covid-19, according to a spokesman
Voting in Republic of Congo’s election took place Sunday and results are expected this week.
Ms Nyandeng is the last South Sudanese Vice President to contract COVID-19.
South Sudan’s First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar and his wife Angelina Teny, the minister of Defense and Veteran Affairs contracted the coronavirus in May 2020.Weeks after his appointment, the chairman of the National Committee on COVID-19 and Fourth Vice President, Hussein Abdelbagi, confirmed that he too had also tested positive.
That very week, Second Vice President James Wani Igga revealed that he had contracted the virus.
Days after joining the unity government last year, Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth announced that he tested positive for Covid-19.
That very week, the former minister for National Security, Dr Majak Agoot, also confirmed that he had gotten infected.
In December last year, former South Sudanese Ambassador to Russia and former Presidential Legal Advisor, Telar Ring Deng, died at an Aspen medical facility days after declaring on social media that he was sick with the virus.
Meanwhile, the late 61-year-old Congo politician was last seen in a video circulating Saturday on social media in which he told supporters he was “fighting death.” Aides later said he was been flown to France for further treatment.
Spokesman Justin Nzoloufoua confirmed his death Monday to The Associated Press, and said efforts were underway to repatriate Kolelas’ body to Brazzaville.
Kolelas, who won 15% of the vote in the 2016 election, was expected to finish second to President Denis Sassou N’Guesso, one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders with more than 36 years in office.
Kolelas had skipped his final campaign event on Friday after telling some reporters a day earlier that he feared he had malaria. A video circulating on social media Saturday showed Kolelas wearing an oxygen mask and with a blood pressure cuff on his arm as he lay in a hospital bed.
“My dear compatriots, I am in trouble. I am fighting death,” the candidate says in a weak-sounding voice after removing his oxygen mask. “However, I ask you to stand up and vote for change. I would not have fought for nothing.”
The opposition figure has been particularly critical of the incumbent leader in recent days, declaring that Republic of Congo had become “a police state.”
Sassou N’Guesso is the third-longest serving president in Africa, ruling from 1979-1992 and then again since 1997 in this nation often overshadowed by its vast neighbor Congo.
Republic of Congo has had fewer than 10,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began, with 134 confirmed deaths.