France terror suspect was carrying Red Cross ID-Prosecutor
London, Oct. 30, 2020 (AltAfrica)-The man suspected of killing three people in a French church arrived by train carrying an Italian Red Cross identity document, changed his clothes at the train station, then walked to the church to begin his attack, a prosecutor said on Thursday.
Jean-François Ricard, France’s chief anti-terrorist prosecutor, said the attacker was a Tunisian born in 1999 who had arrived in the Italian city of Bari on Oct. 9.
The prosecutor said the man had been caught on video surveillance at the railway station in Nice, and from there had walked the 400 metres (yards) to the Notre Dame church
A knife-wielding man killed three people at the Basilica of Notre-Dame of Nice on Thursday morning. The suspect “virtually beheaded” an elderly person, according to reports, and also killed a man and a woman.
French media report that the perpetrator of the Nice attack is a 21-year-old man from Tunisia. Police shot him on the scene and he is receiving medical treatment while in custody.
Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said Thursday morning that “everything pointed to a terrorist attack.”
“He cried ‘Allahu Akbar!’ over and over, even after he was injured. The meaning of his gesture left no doubt,” the mayor said of the attacker.
The mayor said the French city is “once again touched in her heart by the Islamofascism that I keep denouncing.” In July 2016, Nice was the site of one of France’s worst terrorist attacks, when a 31-year-old man from Tunisia drove a truck into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day. He killed 86 and injured 434.
French President Emmanuel Macron also described Thursday’s murders in Nice as “Islamist terrorism,” traveling to the city to support the families of the victims.
“I want to say here first and foremost the support of the whole nation for Catholics, from France and elsewhere. After the assassination of Father Hamel in August 2016, it is once again the Catholics who are attacked in our country,” Macron said.
The French government has raised its security alert status to the highest threat level. Macron ordered the deployment of 7,000 French troops to protect churches and other places of worship, as well as schools.
Avignon, in southern France, suffered a similar scare Thursday morning when a gun-wielding man threatened pedestrians. French media report he shouted “Allahu Akbar” before police shot him dead. The attack resulted in no other injuries.