Trump moved to military hospital after COVID-19 diagnosis
London, Oct. 3, 2020 (AltAfrica)-US President Donald Trump has been moved to a military hospital for treatment after being diagnosed with COVID-19, a White House official said on Friday, as his administration and election campaign scrambled to adjust to an extraordinary twist in his turbulent presidency.
TRoughly 17 hours after he announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus, Trump walked slowly from the White House to a waiting helicopter to be taken to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. He wore a mask and business suit and did not speak to reporters.
Trump, 74, has a mild fever, according to a source familiar with the matter. White House doctor Sean P. Conley said he is being treated with an experimental drug cocktail and is “fatigued but in good spirits.”
Doctors urged the move so Trump could get immediate care if needed, the official said.
The news came after White House doctor Sean P. Conley wrote that Trump “remains fatigued but in good spirits.”
Trump, who has played down the threat of the coronavirus pandemic from the outset, wrote on Twitter earlier on Friday that he and his wife Melania were going into quarantine after testing positive for the virus, which has killed more than 200 000 Americans and severely damaged the US economy.
Trump is at high risk because of his age and weight.
“I think I’m doing very well, but we’re going to make sure that things work out,” Trump said in a brief video posted to Twitter.
He has remained in apparent good health during his time in office but is not known to exercise regularly or to follow a healthy diet. Reuters