Uganda arraigns six Chinese nationals for escaping from coronavirus quarantine
London, April 23, 2020 (AltAfrica)-A Ugandan court in Kampala has convicted six Chinese nationals for escaping from a hotel in the country’s capital where they had been quarantined over the deadly Coronavirus.
According to the Daily Monitor, the group last month escaped from a hotel in Kibuli and were later arrested together with their Ugandan driver and his wife in Zombo district on their way to the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Chinese nationals, Mr. Huang Haiguiang, Mr. Li Chaochyan, Mr. Lin Xiaofang, Mr. Qin Shening, Mr. Liang Xinging, and Mr. Huang Wei on Tuesday, April 21 appeared before Chief Magistrate Ruth Nabaasa before they pleaded guilty of disobeying lawful orders, an act likely to spread infection of disease contrary to Section 171 of the Penal Code Act before Nakawa Chief Ruth Nabaasa.
Prosecution led by Ms. Annette Namatovu states that on the 19th day of March 2020 at Kibuli Hotel Africa in Kampala that six Chinese nationals unlawfully or negligently escaped from self quarantined at the said hotel without completing their fourteen mandatory days against COVID-19 to Zombo district.
According to the court records, the six Chinese arrived at Entebbe international airport aboard Ethiopian Airlines on March 10, 2020, and had been subjected to 14 days of self-quarantine at Kibuli Hotel Africa but decided to defy the orders of the Ministry of Health.
The group’s Ugandan driver, Abdu Matovu, 35 and his wife, Swabu Nassuuna, 27 denied the charges.
The magistrate remanded the Chinese nationals until May 4 when they will appear for sentencing.
Meanwhile, Mulago national referral hospital and Entebbe regional referral hospital on Wednesday discharged seven people who have recovered from COVID-19, bringing Uganda’s number of patients who have recovered from the virus to 45.
So far, 20 people have recovered from the virus at Mulago hospital. Only three COVID-19 patients are currently undergoing treatment at the hospital, according to Mr Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the Ministry of Health spokesman.
The director of Entebbe Hospital, Dr Moses Muwanga, said four more people who previously tested positive for coronavirus have recovered and were discharged Wednesday after testing negative.
This implies that Uganda which had, by April 22, registered 61 COVID-19 since the pandemic broke out, has 16 active cases.