9mobile, UK firm launch free online COVID-19 screening for Nigerians as cases reach 318
London, April 12, 2020 (AltAfrica)-9mobile, a Nigerian telecom company is partnering Mobihealth International, a United Kingdom-based company, to launch free COVID-19 online screening and teleconsultation service for Nigerians.
This service is aimed at mitigating the impact of the lockdown and restriction of movement as a result of coronavirus in the country.
The Managing Director and founder of Mobihealth, Dr Funmi Adewara, explained that COVID-19 had impacted the world to the extent that countries with robust healthcare systems had been overwhelmed.
Adewara said, “This crisis makes telemedicine an indispensable tool as COVID-19 spreads across communities. With the emphasis on self-isolation and social distancing, a remote diagnosis becomes imperative for the management of non-critical cases and can help with screening, remote monitoring, contact tracing, and management of non-critical cases.”
The Executive Director, Regulatory and Corporate Affairs at 9mobile, Abdulrahman Ado, explained that the support given to Mobihealth International would help with teleconsultations and screening of Nigerians during the COVID-19 crisis.
Ado said, “We are happy to support Mobihealth for this unique cause because we recognise that a nation can only be economically buoyant if it has a healthy population. This we are committed to building, by attacking this threat to our country and the world at large.”
Meanwhile, Nigeria on Saturday recorded 13 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the country’s total number of infections to 318, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
13 new cases of #COVID19 have been reported; 11 in Lagos, 1 in Delta & 1 in Kano— NCDC (@NCDCgov) April 11, 2020
As at 9:30pm 11th April there are 318 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria. 70 have been discharged with 10 deaths
There are 19 states with confirmed cases in Nigeria pic.twitter.com/xXbp6lX2mS
According to the NCDC, 11 of the new cases reported were found in Lagos, one in Delta and one in Kano.
“As at 9:30pm 11th April there are 318 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria,” the NCDC said in a tweet.
The agency also noted that 70 patients have been discharged with 10 deaths recorded.
More than half of the country’s 36 states have now reported at least one case of the deadly virus.
Earlier on Saturday, President Muhammadu Buhari said lockdown measures are “essential” to defeat the virus in Nigeria and urged citizens to “observe restrictions on movement where they are in place” during the Easter holiday.
Buhari made the comments in a statement released by his spokesman, Garba Shehu.
The President also said lockdown measures will last as long “as our scientific advisers declare they are necessary.”
“For those who suffer most egregiously” during the lockdown, Buhari said the government was ready to help assist with grains and distribution of small cash payments.