Egypt, Nigeria announce 67 new coronavirus cases, Ghana doctor tests positive
London, March 31, 2020 (AltAfrica)-Two African countries, Egypt and Nigeria on Monday announced 67 combined new covid-19, coronavirus infections as Africa grapples with surge in new cases of the deadly infection
While Egypt reported 47 new coronavirus cases and one more death, Nigeria government announced 20 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in three states – Lagos, Kaduna and Oyo – and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja
In Egypt, the total number of confirmed cases now stands at 656, with the total death toll rising to 41-The new cases in Nigeria bring the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 131.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said the breakdown of new cases were 13 in Lagos, four in FCT, two in Kaduna and one in Oyo State. The Oyo State case is believed to be Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo state, South West Nigeria
In Egypt, health minister Hala Zayed said the new fatality was a 44-year-old woman from Cairo who passed away upon arrival at the isolation hospital.
She added that 18 people — two foreigners and 16 Egyptians — have fully recovered and left isolation hospitals. The total number of recoveries has thus increased to 150 from a total of 196 cases whose test results turned from positive to negative.
In Nigeria, the NCDC provided information on the new cases on its official Twitter handle, saying “as at 09:00 pm 30th March there are 131 confirmed cases of #COVID19 reported in Nigeria with 2 deaths.” The second death had earlier been reported by the health minister, Osagie Ehanire, on Monday.
Meanwhile, a medical doctor at the LEKMA Hospital in Ghana has tested positive for the dreaded novel Coronavirus, the Ledzokuku Constituency legislator, Dr Bernard Oko-Boye announced late on Monday.
According to him, the doctor whose name is withheld has been counted by the Ghana Health Service in the number of cases recorded in Ghana.
Dr Oko-Boye in a report by Joy News indicated that, the hospital which is within his constituency, will be shut down for disinfection on Tuesday, March 31.
The medical officer is the first frontline medical staff known publicly to have contracted the disease in the country
Ghana’s case count still stands at 152 with five deaths and two recoveries.