Nigeria: Lagos moves Coronavirus patient to renovated facility after failed escape bid
London, Feb. 29, 2020 (AltAfrica)-Lagos state government, South West Nigeria has confirmed that the Italian who tested positive to coronavirus in the country has been moved to a renovated facility.
Lagos commissioner of health, Prof. Akin Abayomi’s confirmation came after reports that the infected Italian, quarantined at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos, had reportedly attempted to escape from his isolation room due to excessive heat and mosquitoes.
However, while speaking on a show on Arise Television on Saturday, the commissioner admitted that the patient had complained, but he said he is now comfortable in his new ward.
“I saw him at about 6pm yesterday. He was explaining his condition and we were taking some new data from him,” he said.
“He’s in an isolation room all by himself and we had moved him into a particular room because we were doing a general overhaul of the whole facility because we want to be ready.
“There were some discomforts in terms of heat, but about 9 pm we moved him over to the renovated facility which has lots of air conditioners, fans and it’s a 28-bed brand new facility, and he’s there on his own in the whole ward and as of 6 am this morning I’m told he’s comfortable.”
The commissioner said they started renovations last week and now have the 100-bed capacity.
He said the Lagos government has been building capacity since the Ebola outbreak of 2014.
“We’ve been building a biosecurity unit that includes advanced diagnostic capacity. We’ve been building isolation wards which have special airflow dynamics,” he said.