Coronavirus hits UK as two people test positive for deadly disease
London, Jan. 31, 2020 (AltAfrica)-The first case of deadly coronavirus that has so far killed more than 200 people in China has been confirmed in the UK.
Two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for the virus,
Chief Medical Officer for England Professor Chris Whitty said. Today, 80 people will land in the UK from Wuhan, the central Chinese city considered to be the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak.
Here is the full statement from Professor Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England, on the first two confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK.
We can confirm that two patients in England, who are members of the same family, have tested positive for coronavirus. The patients are receiving specialist NHS care, and we are using tried and tested infection control procedures to prevent further spread of the virus.
The NHS is extremely well-prepared and used to managing infections and we are already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to prevent further spread.
We have been preparing for UK cases of novel coronavirus and we have robust infection control measures in place to respond immediately. We are continuing to work closely with the World Health Organization and the international community as the outbreak in China develops to ensure we are ready for all eventualities.
The government previously warned that those showing symptoms of coronavirus would not be allowed to board the plane for the UK.
Health secretary Matt Hancock said those returning to the UK from China will be kept in quarantine for two weeks, ‘safely isolated with all necessary medical attention’.