Queen approves exit ‘transition’ for Harry and Meghan
London, Jan. 13, 2020 (AltAfrica)-The Queen has agreed a “period of transition” in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend time in Canada and the UK.
She said she is “entirely supportive” of their desire for a new role but “would have preferred” them to remain full-time working royals.
There is more work to be done but she expects final decisions to be made in the coming days, she said.
After a mountain of speculation since Harry and Meghan declared their intentions last week, today’s statement from the Queen leaves us a little clearer about what the future will hold for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, even if it is necessarily light on detail.
The Queen said that these are “complex matters” with “some more work to be done”, but has also set a timetable, saying she expects final decisions to be reached in days.
The statement announces a “period of transition” for the royal couple and their young son Archie as they spend time in Canada and the UK, while they move to no longer being reliant on public funds.
The Queen’s statement about the Sandringham summit followed an earlier joint statement issued by Prince William and Prince Harry, describing as “false” a UK newspaper story which claimed that the Sussexes felt they were being forced out by “bullying” behaviour within the family. Given that both brothers have spoken in recent months about the previously close nature of their relationship changing, it will be seen as a sign of unity on a significant day for the future shape of the British monarchy.
The Queen statement
Buckingham Palace has just released the following statement from the Queen:
Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.
My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.
Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.
It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.
These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.
Harry and Meghan said on Wednesday they want to step back as senior royal