Prince Harry and Meghan set to make MILLIONS from showbiz after quitting royal family
London, Jan. 9, 2020 (AltAfrica)-PRINCE Harry and Meghan Markle are set to rake in millions from lucrative commercial deals after quitting the royal family, UK tabloid, The Sun reports
In an unprecedented statement on their new website, the couple announced they would be seeking ‘financial independence’ after stepping down from their royal duties.
Until now the Sussexes have been ‘prohibited from earning any income in any form’ – but could now pull in huge sums on the international celebrity circuit.
The tabloid that broke the news of the couple quitting royal duties on Wednesday hours before their official announcement says Prince Harry could join the world’s top speakers in demanding up to £400,000 for a single address at private events.
He has become an accomplished public speaker in recent years through his roles in leading the Invictus Games and other charity commitments.
The Sussexes recently trademarked 100 items including clothing, calendars and postcards – hinting they may be set to start selling their own merchandise.
Before marrying Harry, Meghan earned around £60,000 a year through her lifestyle blog The Tig and could be expected to rake in much more now given her status across the globe.
She also previously commanded £330,000 a series for her role US drama series Suits and would demand much higher fees if she were to return to acting.
Harry and Meghan currently benefit from around £2 million per year from Prince Charles’ Duchy of Cornwall income.
The couple said last night five per cent of their office costs come from the Queen’s £82m-a-year funding stream for royal family members who carry out official duties
They also live in the Queen’s Frogmore Cottage – recently renovated by taxpayers at a cost of £2.4m – rent free.
Prince Harry, 35, has an estimated personal fortune of around £30 million.
Prince William and Harry were left around £70m in trust by the Queen Mother and around £15m by Princess Diana.
The Queen is understood to have been left “deeply upset” while Charles and William were furious to find out of the Sussexes plans on television.
Buckingham Palace said discussions about Harry and Meghan stepping back from royal duties had been at an early stage.
A senior source revealed senior royals had been blindsided by the announcement, saying: “Their statement was not cleared with anyone. It breaks all protocol. This is a declaration of war on the family.
“There is fury over how they’ve done this without any thought for the implications for the institution. The Queen is deeply upset. The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge are incandescent with rage.
“Courtiers can’t believe it. There are so many unanswered questions but they’ve just up and done it without a thought for anyone else.
“The plan was there to discuss it and work out a way that works for everyone in the family.”
When Harry and Meghan found out The Sun was breaking the story of their plans to move to Canada, they wanted to rush out a statement immediately.
“Harry and Meghan wanted it their way or the highway. So they’ve gone and exiled themselves from the Royal Family. It’s extraordinary.”
The statement said Harry and Meghan will work to become financially independent and will divide their time between the UK and North America. They will continue to “fully support” the Queen.
Buckingham Palace issued a curt statement last night stating discussion were at an “early stage.” It read: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
The Sun has learned Harry and Meghan wish to keep Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Estate and want their security bill paid for.
Frogmore Cottage was renovated recently at a cost of £2.4million to the taxpayer, while their reported six bodyguards cost £600,000 a year.
The pair also want to keep their titles as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
The Duke, 34, and Duchess, 38, said in their surprise statement yesterday evening: “After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.
“It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment