Alleged Attack on Kaduna -Abuja Train Baseless Rumour-Nigerian Police
London, Jan. 3, 2019 (AltAfrica)-The spokesman of the Kaduna state police command, Mr. Yakubu Sabo, has denied reports of an attack on the Kaduna – Abuja train by gunmen on Thursday, saying it was a baseless rumour.
There were rumours that gunmen opened fire on the train which was heading for Abuja near Katari village.
However, reacting to the incident in an interview, Sabo who said only the Nigerian Railway Corporation can make an official statement explained his findings shows that nothing like that happened.
“Honestly, I have tried to verify from the Railway command (of the police) and they said there was nothing like that. It was a baseless rumour.
“But the authority to speak on that is the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
“We have not received any information like that, but only the railway corporation can issue a statement to that effect”, he said.
Some leading newspapers had reported earlier, that that armed men suspected to be kidnappers had attacked the Abuja bound train with guns and other projectiles.
The train, which left the Rigassa train station in Kaduna at around 10 am was reportedly attacked a few kilometers to Katari, about 70 kilometres to Abuja.
But Managing Director of the Nigerian Railway Corporation Engr Fidet Okhiria in a short WhatsApp message emphatically denied the incident
“This news was not correct,” Okhiria’s terse statement said.
Okhiria said he had been inundated with calls since the news went viral on the social media. Quoting Police sources, Okhiria said what happened was that a stone was thrown at the train by some boys, which according to him only affected the window glass of coach SP4.