UN condemns another attacks on medical workers, facilities in Libya
London, Oct. 26, 2019 (AltAfrica)-The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Friday condemned the attacks on medical workers and facilities in Libya.
The UNSMIL made the statement as the deadly armed conflict between the east-based army and the UN-backed government continues in and around the capital Tripoli.
READ ALSO: MALAWI GOES DIGITAL FOR VISA APPLICATION
“UNSMIL strongly condemns attacks on all civilian targets including health facilities and medical personnel. The United Nations has documented at least 58 attacks on health workers and health facilities in 2019, as of October 25,” said the statement.
UNSMIL warned that attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure violate international humanitarian and human rights law and may constitute war crimes, calling for respect to the principles of distinction, proportionality and precautions in accordance with international human rights and humanitarian law.
UNSMIL also denied receiving coordinates for field hospitals and clinics operating in southern Tripoli and passing them on to one of the parties to the conflict.
A day earlier, the Ministry of Health of the UN-backed government of Libya said two field hospitals in southern Tripoli were attacked, with a paramedic killed and four others injured, a development described by many as deliberate
Medical workers had been attacked previously in Tripoli, despite warnings by the World Health Organization against attacking medical workers and hospitals.
The east-based army and the UN-backed government have been fiercely fighting since early April over control of Tripoli, which is home to nearly 2 million people.
The fighting has claimed thousands of lives and injured many others, and also displaced nearly 120,000 people.