Four more arrest in Ghana over alleged coup plot, others remanded in custody
London, Sep 25, 2019 (AltAfrica)-One military officer and some soldiers have been picked up as part of a wider investigations into the alleged attempted coup plot on Ghana’s presidency.
Information Minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah said that the soldiers were being interrogated and would be arranged in court of law in the coming day
“There are military persons including an officer who are in custody and being interrogated in connection with this incident,” Oppong-Nkrumah said in a radio interview
Meanwhile, the Kaneshie District Court in Ghana, on Tuesday remanded the medical doctor and two others arrested on Friday September 20, for allegedly manufacturing and possessing arms.in bid to destabilise the government in Ghana
The pleas of Frederick Yao Mac-Palm, a medical practitioner, Bright Alan Debrah Ofosu, alias BB or ADC Freight Manager and Donya Kafui alias Ezor were not taken.
They have been jointly charged with conspiracy to commit a crime to wit manufacturing of arms and ammunition as well as conspiracy to commit a crime to wit possession of explosives, arms and ammunitions.
Donya was separately charged with two counts of manufacturing arms and ammunition that is manufacturing 22 explosives between August and September.
Additionally, Mac-Palm was also charged with possessing 22 explosives, six pistols, three grenades and five ammunition.
Their accomplice, only named as Sule is currently at large.
All of them will make their next appearance on October 9.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare pleaded with the Court to remand the accused persons in the Bureau of National Investigations’ custody, which he described as the leading investigative agency and that they would be closer for investigations.
However, its doors would be opened to the relatives of the accused persons, he noted.
Government on Monday, September 23, 2019, announced a planned attack on the jubilee House had been detected and foiled by a combined team of CID and BNI operatives.
The planned attack was intended to destabilise the country, government said in a statement.
The said operation, according to a statement from the Information ministry, took place on Thursday, September 19, 2019