Bomb scare at Manchester airport, UK
London, Sep 23, 2019 (AltAfrica)-Bomb disposal officers carried out a controlled explosion on a suspicious package at Manchester Airport on Monday, police said, adding a man had been detained by officers at the scene.
Flights were unaffected but transport to and from the airport were stopped while officers assessed the suspect package.
“A cordon is in place at Manchester Airport transport interchange and people are encouraged to follow directions from officers,” Greater Manchester Police said in a statement.
READ ALSO :MUGABE DIED OF CANCER
“Trams, trains and buses are currently suspended to and from the airport interchange.”
Passengers were forced to leave the aircraft which was bound for Marrakech. Two men were arrested on suspicion of making a bomb threat.
A Manchester airport spokesman said: “Due to an incident on board an easyJet aircraft, as a precautionary measure, passengers were taken off board whilst police investigated.
“In the meantime, we will be working closely with the airline and third parties to look after all passengers until they can continue with their journey.
“At all times the safety and security of our passengers and staff is of paramount importance.”
Greater Manchester police said they were called at about 3.30pm following reports that a passenger claimed to have a bomb in his bag.
A police spokesman the the Guardian: “The aircraft was immediately evacuated and two men, aged 45 and 46, were arrested on suspicion of making a bomb hoax.”
The passengers and their baggage were subjected to another security screening before being allowed back on board the aircraft.
An easyJet spokesman said: “EasyJet can confirm that police were requested to board flight EZY1893 from Manchester to Marrakech at the request of the captain.
“We take very seriously any security-related issue made to easyJet to ensure the continued safety and security of our passengers and crew.”