Another day of migrants carnage, 60 rescue, 40 missing in latest Libya shipwreck
London, August 27, 2019 (AltAfrica)-At least 40 people are feared dead or missing after a boat carrying migrants bound for Europe capsized off the coast of Libya.
UN refugee agency spokesman Charlie Yaxley said in a tweet: “Terrible news coming in of potentially large loss of life in a shipwreck off the coast of Libya.
“Around 60 people have been rescued and returned to shore. At least 40 people are estimated to be dead or missing.”
READ ALSO: US IMPOSES VISA HIKE ON NIGERIANS
Libya’s Coast Guard said five bodies, including a child, have so far been recovered near the western town of Khoms.
It added at least 65 migrants, mostly from Sudan, had been rescued – and that search operations are under way for those still missing
Alarm Phone, an independent support group for people crossing the Mediterranean, said it received a call from migrants on the boat who “were in severe distress, crying and shouting, telling us that people had died already”.
Boats overloaded with people trying to reach Europe regularly capsize off Libya.
Last week, more than 100 people died, and a boat with about 250 on board capsized last month