German police dismisses attack on Ekweremadu as mere protest, rules out arrest
London, August 20, 2019 (AltAfrica)-GERMAN police authorities, Landespolizie in Nuremberg, have dismissed the alleged attack on Ekweremadu, Nigeria’s former Deputy Senate President, on Saturday as “just a protest” according to a post by icirnigeria.org
The police also said no arrest was made and didn’t have plans of making any future arrest concerning the incident because the police did not see any infringement on the rights of the Nigerian senator.
Ekweremadu, who represents Enugu West in the Senate, was in Nüremberg for the New Yam when some aggrieved members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) allegedly attacked him.
The immediate past Deputy President of the Nigerian Senate, confirmed what it called physical assault on him by some members of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, in Nuremberg, Germany, on Saturday, August 17, 2019
“There was nothing much about this senator from Nigeria that came. About 30 persons demonstrated against him and the police were called and they calmed the situation down and the senator drove away in his car.
“Nothing happened, so there is not going to be any arrests. No arrests were made, nothing. No police investigation will be carried out in relations to the chaos,” said a police press officer in Nüremberg.
The alleged attack had caused uproar in Nigeria with condemnation from every notable politician
A 64-second video about the attack had gone viral on the social media earlier on Saturday. In the video, Ekweremandu was seen being violently questioned over his alleged conspiracy with the government of Nigeria to proscribe the IPOB in the South East and killing several of its followers.
The Senator who gave account of the event on his social media handle, @iamekweremadu, however, assured that he was safe.
He condemned the attack and said he had immediately reported it to the Nigerian Ambassador to Germany, Mr Yusuf Tuggar.
He said: “I attended the Second Annual Cultural Festival and Convention organised by Ndi-Igbo Germany in Nuremberg today where I was billed to give a keynote address along with the President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Chief Nnia Nwodo, who, however could not make it eventually.
“I was given a resounding welcome by Ndigbo in Germany and everything went smoothly until some men, who identified themselves as IPOB members stormed the venue and began to complain about the killings in the South East, stressing that there would be no Igbo event at the venue.
The Deputy President of the Senate Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege, and many others including Ndigbo, Igbo’s apex socio-cultural organisation condemned the attack on Ekwerenmandu as an affront against the Igbos and Nigeria calling for the prosecution of the attackers