More defections hit al-Shabab terror group as two more fighters surrender to Somali forces
London, August 11, 2019 (AltAfrica)-Two more al-Shabab fighters surrendered to Somalia regional government forces on Saturday in southern region in the latest wave of defections that have hit the al-Qaida allied terror group, military officials said.
Jubaland militant officials received Gedi Mohamed Ali and Abdulaziz Mohamed in Afmadow town following talks that led to their defection from the militant group.
The duo who surrendered to the Jubaland security forces also handed over two AK-47 automatic rifles and ammunition which they had used to kill and maim people in the country.
The two militants who were paraded in Afmadow town regretted their action which had caused deaths and injuries to innocent people.
On Aug. 5, two al-Shabab militants surrendered to Somali forces in Dinsor town of southwest country’s Bay region
On July 10, another senior al-Shabab leader surrendered to the government forces in Lower Juba region in southern Somalia.
In June, an al-Shabab military commander defected and surrendered to Somali government forces, authorities in Mogadishu
Minister of Information Abdirahman Omar Osman confirmed on Twitter that Bishar Mumin Farah had surrendered in the south-central part of the country, in Hiran region.
A Somali general who interviewed the defector told VOA the al-Shabab commander had been sent to Hiran, a large and populous area of central Somalia, “in order to execute attacks during the holy month of Ramadan. “He is a young man who had been brainwashed,” but who eventually realized that al-Shabab’s activities were evil and that he no longer wanted to be a part of the militant group”, the general said.
Government forces have been on major offensives against al-Shabab extremists in central and southern Somali regions, but the militants still hold swaths of territory in those regions, conducting ambushes and planting roadside bombs.