Morocco recovers 15 bodies of same family after shocking landslide
London, July 26, 2019 (AltAfrica)-Following the July 24 landslide in El Haouz region, Moroccan Emergency Crew has recovered 15 bodies from the mud after a rare summer downpour triggered a landslide that buried a minibus, according to update on Morocco World News
Local officials contacted by AFP confirmed that Wednesday evening’s deluge in the Atlas mountains south of Marrakesh had triggered flash flooding.
The downpour dislodged masses of earth and rocks as high as 20 metres (more than 60 feet) in places that entombed the minibus.
The officials said they could not immediately confirm the death toll.
On Thursday local media reported that 24 people died in the incident. Reports also circulated that 18 of the bodies had been recovered and taken to the morgue in Marrakech.
However, Jaber, member of the delegation of the Ministry of Health of the region of El Haouz, told Huffpost Maghreb that rescue teams were able to extract only 15 bodies from the rubble. The operation took more than 30 hours.
“They are all from the same family. Their bodies have been taken to the morgue of Marrakech and are, for the time being, in the process of identification,” says Jaber