World Bank announces additional $300 million package to contain Ebola outbreak in Africa
London, July 25, 2019 (AltAfrica)-The World Bank announced on Wednesday (Jul 24) it was deploying another US$300 million in crisis aid for DR Congo to help contain the year-old Ebola outbreak.
The financing comes after the World Health Organisation (WHO) last week declared the current outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
The funds will be added to the US$100 million the bank provided after Ebola appeared in August 2018, the World Bank said in a statement.
But officials say another US$200 million could be needed in the coming six months.
“Together, we must take urgent action to stop the deadly Ebola epidemic that is destroying lives and livelihoods in the Democratic Republic of Congo,” World Bank Chief Executive Officer Kristalina Georgieva said in a statement.
“The communities and health workers on the front line of this outbreak urgently need more support and resources from the international community to prevent this crisis from worsening inside the country and from spreading across borders.”
Since August last year, the outbreak has killed more than 1700 people of the 2,500 people infected in DR Congo in the second-biggest epidemic since more than 11,300 people died between 2014 and 2016 in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
In declaring Ebola outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 17 July, WHO officials argued the global community’s response in money, technical assistance, and human resources had been inadequate.