Nigeria investigates 8 year-old who owns N500 million house in Abuja
London, July 25, 2019 (AltAfrica)-After the mystery of a Nigerian snake that eat 36m naira, the country is again battling to unravel another mystery-an eight year old boy who owns a property worth over N500 million in the Federal Capital Territory FCT, Abuja, Nigeria’s seat of power
The stunning discovery was made by the Special Presidential Investigative Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIPR) while investigating three Permanent Secretaries over alleged corruption and abuse of office.
Chairman of the panel, Mr Okoi Obono-Obla, who disclosed this at a news conference in Abuja, on Wednesday, said investigators trailing the permanent secretaries uncovered a house in Asokoro, Abuja, worth over N500 million
He said the panel became more curious when it was discovered that document and every transaction relating to the said house was in the name of an eight year old boy, who happens to be the son of one of the permanent secretaries being investigated
Obono-Obla declined to name the permanent secretaries, saying “I don’t want to prejudice investigation, so I won’t mention their names”.
He also said that a female top government functionary had a registered company through which she had been conducting businesses.
“We got a petition from a whistle-blower about the property. So we have commenced investigation.
“Our investigation is yet to be concluded because when we are investigating a public officer we also investigate the siblings, relations and fronts so you won’t be able to link-up their names with such persons.
“The other one was alleged to have included projects in budget of 2017 and 2018 that were fake and also was allegedly collecting money to pay for goods and services that are no more in existence.
“The other permanent secretary, we also got information from a whistle-blower that he has a lot of landed property, including a hotel, in Abuja.
“From our investigation, he did not declare his assets.
“He was inaugurated as permanent secretary in October, 2017, and in accordance with Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) procedure, assets declaration form was given to him to declare his assets.
“We started investigating him since last year and we discovered that he was given the form and he did not return the form to the CCB,” Obono-Obla said.
The chairman further said that the panel had been making a lot of recoveries for the Federal Government, from banks.
“We have continued to recover huge sums of monies from commercial banks being excessive charges that banks had applied on accounts of Federal Government agencies that were domiciled with them before the introduction of TSA.”
He said that the most recent of the recoveries was over N216 million from a commercial bank.
“We want to protect the identity of that bank because disclosing it will affect the economy,” he said