Sudan to set up independent investigation to probe deadly crackdown on protesters
London, July 9, 2019 (AltAfrica)- As part of the power-sharing agreement in Sudan, the two sides to the power pact have agreed on an independent Sudanese investigation into the deadly crackdown to fish out the culprits and who ordered the crackdown that claimed many many innocent lives
Though Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, head of the military council who announced the probe in a televised address gave no further details about the investigation, form and who constitutes membership of the panel, he said investigation was a vital pre-condition for the successful implementation of a power-sharing deal reached with protesters last week.
Gen. Burhan also insisted that the military council did not order the violent dispersal of the main protest camp last month, which killed scores of people and led to the collapse of talks initially “We trust that military council members had nothing to do with what happened in the sit-in dispersal,” he said.
Sudanese security forces razed the sit-in outside the military headquarters in Khartoum on June 3. The deadly clampdown killed at least 128 people, according to protest organizers. Authorities put the death toll at 61, including three security forces.
On June 30, the protesters returned to the streets by the tens of thousands to again demand a transition to civilian rule. The rallies were the largest since the uprising began in December.
Gen Burham also announced that the military council that assumed power after the overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir in April will be dissolved with the implementation of a power-sharing deal
The military and a pro-democracy coalition agreed last week on a joint sovereign council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized. Both sides say a diplomatic push by the U.S. and its Arab allies was key to ending a week long standoff that raised fears of all-out civil war.
Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, head of the military council, said that the army would return to its barracks after 21 months, when leadership of the council passes from a military representative to a civilian.
The council will include five civilians representing the protest movement and five military members. An 11th seat will go to a civilian chosen by both sides. The protesters will select a Cabinet of technocrats, and a legislative council is to be formed after three months.