At least 49 dead after shooters open fire in two mosques in New Zealand terror attack
London, March 15, 2019 (AltAfrica)-THERE have been at least 49 killed after shooters opened fire in two mosques in a terrorist attack described as “an unprecedented act of violence”.
A witness said a man was carrying an automatic rifle when he entered a mosque in Deans Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Reports said “a bunch of shots” were heard at the site around 1.40pm (12.40am GMT).
A similar shooting happened at a second mosque in Linwood Avenue.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed 30 people were killed at the Masjid Al Noor Mosque and another 10 were killed at the Linwood Masjid Mosque.
The death toll is currently at least 49 people.
She also said: “It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack.”
The Prime Minister added that the threat level has been raised from “low” to “high” in New Zealand.
Police said there were also bombs strapped to vehicles that have been made safe.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed one of the arrested was an Australian-born citizen.
The suspected white supremacist – identified as 28-year-old Brenton Tarrant – detailed his plans to murder worshippers in two packed mosques in a chilling document called “The Great Replacement”.
The evil far right-wing terrorist revealed in the document how he was inspired by Norway mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 in a 2011 attack.
He described himself as an “ordinary white man born in Australia to a working class, low-income family” – including parents “of Scottish, Irish and English stock” – who “decided to take a stand to ensure a future of my people”
The mass-murderer claimed he had been inspired to carry out the attacks as “revenge” for a terror attack in Sweden that claimed a young girl called Ebba Akerlund among its victims
He chillingly detailed plans to carry the attack on Masjid Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Masjid Mosque in order to “bring to attention the truth of the assault on our civilisation”.
Suspected terrorist Brenton Tarrant explained his evil killings in a 74-page document (Pic: REUTERS/TWITTER)