Cameroon’s ex-defence minister, wife remanded in prison for alleged embezzlement
London, March 12, 2019 (AltAfrica)-The wife of former Cameroon’s Defence Minister, Edgard Alain Mebe Ngo’o has reportedly been remanded in custody at the Kondengui maximum security in Yaounde.
Bernadette Mebe Ngo’o was sent to Kondengui on Monday March 11 after a series onf interrogations at the Special Criminal Court in Yaounde, sources said.
She is suspected of embezzlement of state funds in the Magforce affair in the purchase of arms when her husband was still Minister of Defence.
Her husband, Cameroonian former Defence Minister Edgard Alain Mebe Ngo’o and three others were detained last week at the Kondengui prison in connection with the affair as investigations continue.
The ongoing investigation showed that the country lost about XAF100 billion.
Sources said two sons of the Mebe Ngo’o couple are also also implicated in the case.
Mr Mebe Ngo’o was appointed Defense Minister in 2009. He once served as Delegate-General for National Security and was an active actor promoting the “opération Epervier,” a system put in place by President Paul Biya in 2006 to fight corruption.
Now the former minister is considered the biggest victim of the policy.
(Business in Cameroon)