Nigerian attack: ISWAP claims responsibility for attack on governor Shettima’s convoy
Adetokunbo Fakeye with agency report.
London, Feb. 14, 2019 (AltAfrica)-A splinter group of the dreaded Boko Haram, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the attack on the convoy of the Borno State, Kashim Shettima while going for a rally in northeastern Nigeria.
According to Channels TV report, the group said in a statement on its Amaq news agency that 42 people were killed in Tuesday’s attack on the governor.
Official sources told Reuters earlier on Wednesday between three and 10 people were killed, and that some of them may have been beheaded.
Another source according to AFP report said, two soldiers and two civilians were killed and an unspecified number of ruling All Progressives Congress members were kidnapped.
“The bus they were travelling in got stuck in the sand while the driver was trying to manoeuvre and turn back towards Dikwa,” the source told AFP.
“All the people in the bus were rounded up and taken into the bush. Another truck belonging to CJTF, which also got stuck, was taken away but the occupants were able to flee”.
Tomasz Rolbiecki, a Polish journalist who covers activities of Islamic and Boko Haram insurgency said the attackers claimed only “2 people and 4 vehicles”, were captured.
Boko Haram has waged a decade-long insurgency in Nigeria’s northeast which has killed around 30,000 people and forced about 2 million to leave their homes.
Islamic State West Africa Province, which split from Boko Haram in 2016, has carried out a series of attack on military targets in the last few months.
Security sources said earlier on Wednesday the gunmen opened fire at the motorcade transporting Borno’s state governor Kashim Shettima on his way from state capital Maiduguri to the market town of Gamboru for a rally.
Two security sources said three people died. A government and a separate security source said as many as 10 people were killed. Some of those killed may have been beheaded, they said.
There was no indication of how Shettima, a government politician, was affected by the attack. His spokesman could not be reached for comment. A security source said the convoy had returned to Maiduguri