Nigeria: EFCC seeks forfeiture order on Amosu’s N2.2bn seized money
Abuja, November 7, 2018 (AltAfrica)-The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has filed an application, seeking the final forfeiture of the sum of N2,244,500,000 seized from a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu (retd.).
In the application filed before Justice Mojisola Olatoregun of the Federal High Court in Lagos, the anti-graft agency is equally praying for the permanent forfeiture of another N190,828,978.15 recovered from an ex-Director of Finance and Budget, Nigerian Air Force NAF, Air Commodore Olugbenga Gbadebo.
The application also seeks the permanent forfeiture of a sum of N101m found in the bank account of Solomon Enterprises, a firm linked to Amosu.
The EFCC said the funds were reasonably suspected to be proceeds of criminal activities.
The move for the final forfeiture followed a temporary forfeiture order made by the court on June 14, 2018.
The EFCC accused Amosu of conspiring with Gbadebo and Air Vice Marshal Jacob Adigun to divert funds meant for NAF operations while Amosu headed the security agency.
Amosu, Gbadebo and Adigun were said to have allegedly used eight companies to siphon the money from the coffers of NAF.
The companies were listed as Delfina Oil and Gas Ltd; Mcallan Oil and Gas Ltd; Hebron Housing and Properties Company Ltd ;Trapezites BDC; Fonds and Pricey Ltd; Deegee Oil and Gas Ltd; Timsegg Investment Ltd and Solomon Health Care Ltd.
The EFCC arraigned the trio alongside the eight firms for allegedly laundering N22.8bn.
The matter is currently before Justice C.J. Aneke of the Federal High Court in Lagos.
On Tuesday, Justice Olatoregun of the same court adjourned till November 12, 2018 to hear the application seeking the final forfeiture of the funds recovered from Amosu, Gbadebo and Solomon Enterprises.
Meanwhile, the planned re-arraignment of Amosu, Gbadebo and Adigun before Justice Aneke was stalled as the defence counsel and the prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, were locked in heated arguments.
As opposed to the original charge sheet wherein Amosu, Gbadebo, Adigun and the eight companies were joined as defendants, the amended charge sheet did not contain the names of the eight companies.
When the case was called up for hearing on Tuesday, the prosecutor told Justice Aneke that he had amended the charge sheet and would like the defendants to be re-arraigned.
But Amosu’s lawyer, Chief Bolaji Ayorinde (SAN), said while he was not opposed to the amended charge, he would like the judge to first discharge and acquit the eight companies since their names had been removed from the charge sheet.
The other defence counsel, including Mr Norrison Quakers (SAN) and Chief Wale Taiwo (SAN), aligned with Ayorinde’s submission.
But the prosecutor, Oyedepo, disagreed with them, saying the court had no business acquitting and discharging the companies.
Justice Aneke adjourned till November 13, 2018 for ruling.