UEFA bans Swiss club Sion from European football for next two seasons
London, April 16, 2018 (AltAfrika)-UEFA has banned Swiss club Sion from its competitions over a transfer debt, and fined three clubs for breaking licensing rules.
UEFA says Sion is barred from its next Champions League or Europa League qualification in the next two seasons.
The case involved a 950,000 euros ($1.18 million) debt to French club Sochaux in the disputed transfer of Ghanaian forward Ishmael Yartey. UEFA says the debt is now paid.
UEFA also fined Sion the 235,000 euros ($290,000) it earned playing in this season’s Europa League qualifying rounds.
UEFA says it fined Irtysh of Kazakhstan 440,000 euros ($545,000) and put the club on three years’ probation.
Sion had been in trouble with the European governing body, and FIFA, in the past over the registration of Egyptian player Essam El-Hadary, who they signed in 2008.
And in 2011-12 they were kicked out of the Europa League for using five players in a clash with Celtic. The players were signed when the club were under a transfer embargo — and these previous charges did not help their current cause.
Sion sit ninth in the Super League table — nine points outside the European places — having won their last two matches.