Amnesty says Nigerian army ignored warnings about Dapchi attack’
London, March 20, 2018 (AltAfrika)-Campaign group Amnesty International says that the Nigerian army ignored repeated warnings of an attack on Dapchi town, hours before 110 schoolchildren were kidnapped from the government girl’s school.
They said they spoke to 23 different local leaders who said they saw the militants in the vicinity on the day of the attack.
The local leaders alerted the Nigerian army to the presence of a convoy of militants in a village called Gumsa, about 30km (18 miles) from Dapchi town.
That was early on Monday 19 February. Later that evening, militants attacked the school on at least nine vehicles, kidnapping 110 children.
Amnesty claim the attack was reported as it happened but still the army failed to respond.
Nigeria’s army spokesman
Nigeria’s army spokesman said that the government has set up a committee to investigate the security lapse which lead to the kidnapping and urged Amnesty to submit its findings to them.
In a press release a week after the attack, the army admitted it had pulled out of Dapchi town a few days before the kidnapping. They claimed troops were required elsewhere and Dapchi was considered safe.
It has been a month since the kidnapping and parents of the missing girls still have no information on where their daughters might be.
Last week President Muhammadu Buhari said his government was pursuing negotiations with the militants instead of pursuing them by force.
The kidnapping and its aftermath echoes the infamous abduction of the Chibok girls in 2014, 100 of whom are still missing.