Court Revokes Engineer’s Bail Over N5m Fraud
London, Feb. 21, 2018 (AltAfrika)-A Nigeria High Court in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, presided over by Justice D. Z. Senchi on Tuesday revoked the bail earlier granted to one Victoria Adenike Adelana, following her refusal to attend court to face trial on a charge of criminal breach of trust, conspiracy and obtaining by false pretence preferred against her by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Adelana, a civil engineer, according to EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, have defrauded one Chinenye Ike to the tune of N5million under the pretext of purchasing a plot of land for him in Maitama, Extension II, Abuja.
The count against her reads:
“That you, Victoria Adenike Adelana on or about the 6th of November, 2011 in Abuja in the Abuja Judicial Division of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory with intent to defraud did obtain the sum of Five Million Naira (N5,000,000) from one Chinenye Ike under the false pretence of purchasing a plot of land for him in Maitama Extension II which pretence you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to S.1(1)b of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under S.1(3) of the same Act”.
Upon arraignment in May, 2016, the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge and was subsequently granted bail on June 6, 2016 pending trial. Adelana has since then remained evasive as she never returned to court to stand trial.
After a long period of absence from court without reason, the court issued bench warrant against her and she was subsequently declared wanted by the EFCC.
The fugitive was eventually arrested on February 10, 2018 by operatives of the EFCC and brought to court to stand trial.
At the resumed trial, Justice Senchi revoked the bail earlier granted the accused person and ordered the prosecution to enter its witnesses.
Thereafter, counsel to the EFCC, Dianne Nkwaap, presented the prosecution’s first witness, Frank Kamalu.
Kamalu told the court that he came to know the defendant while looking for a plot of land for one Hon. Chinenye Ike (the complainant) in Abuja and thereafter introduced them to each other.
He added that after the introduction, Ike called to tell him that he gave Adelana N5million to get a plot of land for him (Ike) at Lamorde Estate, Life Camp, Abuja.
The Judge at this point adjourned to March 5, 2018 for continuation of trial and ordered that the defendant be remanded in Suleja prison custody.
ONSA Scam: Dasuki Absent in Court, Trial Adjourns to March 22
Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf of the Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, has adjourned further hearing in a 19-count charge of criminal diversion of $2.1billion involving former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (rtd) and others, to March 22, 2018.
Others in the case are: Attahiru Bafarawa, a former governor of Sokoto State; his son, Sagir Bafarawa; a former Director of Finance and Administration in the Office of the NSA, Shuaibu Salisu; a former Minister of State for Finance, Bashir Yuguda as well as Sagir’s firm, Dalhatu Investment.
The defendants were alleged to have conspired to divert the said money which was part of funds earmarked for purchase of arms to fight Boko Haram insurgency in the Northeast.
At the resumed sitting on Wednesday, counsel to the EFCC, Henry Ejiga told the court that the case was slated for hearing and expressed the readiness of the prosecution to go on.
However, Adeola Adedipe, counsel representing Dasuki, apologized for the absence of the former NSA and informed the court of a pending application at the Supreme Court of which judgment is reserved for March 2, 2018.
He urged the court to adjourn to a date after the Supreme Court’s judgment.
Other counsel in the matter aligned with his submission.
It would be recalled that Dasuki’s co-defendants had sought to be separately tried to ensure speedy trial.
But, counsel to the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, in a counter argument objected the application. He noted that Bafarawa, his son and their family company, Dalhatu Investment Limited, were properly joined with Dasuki, Bashiru Yuguda and Shuaibu Salisu for their joint roles in the diversion of $2.1billion arms funds.
While urging the court to discountenance the application, Jacobs stressed that Dalhatu Investment owned by Bafarawa and his son was the receiver of the alleged stolen funds.
Justice Baba-Yusuf, in his ruling on October 19, 2017 refused the application, while relying on ACJA, 2015.
Dissatisfied, the defendants approached the Court of Appeal urging it to order the trial court to separate the case. The appeal also failed to succeed prompting further appeal to the Supreme Court, which judgment is reserved.
The court, in the circumstance adjourned.