No UN Official Killed In Borno Food Trucks Attack – Nigerian Army
Abuja, Nigeria. Dec. 19, 2017 (AltAfrika)-The Nigerian Army has debunked the reports that four United Nations staff were killed by Boko Haram insurgents when four trucks conveying food for Internally Displaced Persons in Borno State were attacked.
The World Food Programme (WFP) an agency of the UN had on Sunday confirmed an attack on its food convoy which was taking food to Internally Displaced Persons in Ngala, Borno State on Saturday, December 16.
Deputy Director Public Relations of the Operation Lafiya Dole Command, Colonel O. Nwachukwu in a statement on Monday said none of the casualties in the encounter has been identified as a staff of the UN.
“It is necessary to state here that a patrol escorting a convoy of civilian vehicles to Logomani encountered an ambush staged by elements of Boko Haram insurgents at Maula village along Dikwa-Ngala trans Sahara highway which resulted in a firefight between troops and the insurgents.
“The troops, however, fought through the ambush, overpowered the insurgents and killed six of them. The troops also captured three AK 47 rifles, three locally fabricated firearms, four magazines and a belt of 7.62 mm ammunition,” Nwachukwu said in the statement.
The statement, however, confirmed that four persons died in the attack.
“Although none of the persons killed in the ambush has so far been identified as a staff of the UN, this Headquarters considers the lives of all citizens and indeed all humans sacrosanct, which must be protected by troops even at a supreme price,” the statement added.
The situation, according to the army has been brought under control and further exploitation of the general area is currently being carried out by Mobile strike Team of Operation Lafiya Dole.