Buhari abandons “No waste policy” to compensate more loyalists in cabinet expansion
President Buhari (2nd right) at the party meeting
London, Oct. 31, 2017 (AltAfrika)-President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria has abandoned his “no waste policy” with a promise to expand his already bloated cabinet. He will also make board appointments to compensate more party loyalists ahead of 2019 election
President Buhari gave hints of the new appointments in a speech delivered today to the National Executive of the All Progressives Congress at the national secretariat in Abuja. The “compressed Federal Executive Council will be expanded to bring in more supporters at Federal Level, with fresh ideas to be injected into the government”. The president said.
President Buhari at the moment has 36 ministers, with 14 of them being ministers of state. He doubles as the full minister of petroleum.
The proposed extended cabinet is an indication of immense pressure for political inclusiveness which is in stack contrast to his pronouncement two years ago to have a “trim cabinet to avoid waste”
Similarly, the President also hinted he will be appointing more people into the boards of government agencies and corporations.
“Last year I said we would re-constitute the Boards of Parastatals. I must regret the fact that we have not done so, for many reasons.
“Some of us in this meeting may know I had given instructions since October 2015 for this exercise to start. But there have been inordinate delays through several Committees in an attempt to get the balance right and to make sure all parts of the country are equitably represented.
“On the other hand I am keenly aware that our supporters are very eager for these appointments to be announced. By the Grace of God these appointments will be announced soon. Especially now that the economy is improving, we will have the resources to cater for the appointees.”, he said.